Thursday, November 12, 2009

Holidays Recipes

Ever since my children were of school age, they attended
a Christian based preschool. When it was time for my youngest one to go,
Alejandro, I though to my self "OH good!!Now I'll have some time to my self,
to do as a pleased."...to my surprise, after a couple of month of my new found freedom,
I found my self missing my children at home, and with nothing to do! (There is so much you could clean, cook, or organized a house!!) I was going out of my mind!!

I stared to volunteer at my children's school....well that was the best thing that has ever happened to me!...I found my calling!....Yes, never thought I would enjoy teaching little ones, never saw my self as a teacher, but there I was, happy, happy! closed to my own children, participating in their lives, and at the same time loving what I was doing.

I learn so much from my mentor Mrs. Espinosa. She was the head teacher for the three years old program at the school, every thing I learn about classroom management, compassion, and just plain love for this little ones, I learned from her. She encourage me to go back to school, and push my limits. It was not easy to work, attend to my house and study,and convinced a husband that did not approved; but I did it, going against all adds, I did it. I thank her,my mother in law, my mother and my sisters in law, for the moral support they gave me. I don't think I would have made it without their words of encouragement.

From those wonderful preschool days I have memories of field trips, Bobo The Clown,
Christmas plays, Thanksgiving dinners, birthdays parties, and all is tied to food!...Yes, in our culture every occasion we celebrate is tied to food, and the Holidays are so special and with them, it comes all sort of wonderful recipes.

This week I'll share Mrs. Espinosa's famous "Pumpkin Bread"...and like always a little touch of my own flavors to it.

Thank you Helen Espinosa for been a wonderful mentor and friend.....and I thank God every day for my family!


Pumpkin Bread

3 c sugar
1c oil
4 eggs
(Beat sugar, oil and eggs together)

1lb can pumpkin
31/2 c flower
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 or 2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves (ground)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp all spice

Mix all dried ingredients together and add to wet ingredients a little at a time, folding with a big spoon.

2/3 c walnuts or chopped pecans
if you want you could also put dried cranberries ( i put that for x-mas to make it more festive with the colors)

When all ingredients are mixed, pour in 2 loaf pans, and bake for 1hr at 350 degrees or until inserting a tooth pick and it comes out clean.

For a healthier version try it changing some of the ingredients.

Substituted:
1 whole egg + 3 egg whites
1/2 of the oil for apple sauce
whole wheat flower
add 1/2c of dried cranberries

Cut bread into 1 inch thick slices, arrange in a platter, decorating with fresh cranberries and meant leaves. Serve with whipped cream on the side.

Enjoy.....Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment